Saturday, September 4, 2010

Banana Bread

Somehow the entire summer's slipped away, and I haven't blogged anything... or baked anything either! So I decided to bake a banana bread cause we had some bananas that were starting to hang around a little too long. I was intending to use the last 2 very ripe bananas, but Kathy decided to eat one, not realizing I was going to bake them. I was left with just one banana.

Anyways, I looked around the internet looking for a quick banana bread recipe, and generally they are like this:

350 degree preheated oven

dry stuff:
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • a teaspoon each of baking power, baking soda, cinnamon
  • half a teaspoon of nutmeg.
wet stuff:
  • 2 eggs
  • teaspoon of vanilla to make the eggs more pleasant
  • half cup of butter (I used veg oil instead of butter)
  • 2-3 very ripe bananas on the verge of fermenting into banana liquor.
Mix all the dry stuff in one bowl, mix all the wet stuff in a second bowl, then add the dry to the wet, and mix them all. I have this vague recollection that I'm not supposed to over-mix it or it becomes like chewing rubber. Put this in an oiled baking pan in the oven and let it bake. Typical time is about 45 minutes. Check with a toothpick or a chopstick lanced through it's heart, if anything sticks to your stick, it's not ready, bake for another 5-10 minutes.

Since I was short a couple of bananas, I just added a little extra oil and some water to shore up the moisture content, I didn't really measure. I probably didn't add enough.

Here's some pics of the end result:



No comments: